Last SXSW 2014 post. Argentinian duo Illya Kuryaki and The Valderramas was in town. Since they don’t sing in English, most locals have no clue who they are. I credit my coolo shaking skills more to them than I do to Miley.
The concert was at The North Door. Great venue: Excellent sound, good pizza, short lines for beer. The rest of the lineup for the night:
- Los Petit Fellas: I missed them but was told they were very good.
- Rebel Cats: Odd Mexican band than plays 50s rock. Rarely do you see a bass being abused so badly.
- División Minúscula: Reasonably well known Northern Mexican band that play indistinct generic rock.
- Porter: Guadalajara based electronic rock. Lead singer seems like a nice guy.
Enough, cellphone videos from my excellent vantage point:
Jaguar House (IKV):
Peggy Sue (Rebel Cats):
We went to ACL this past weekend. People were not excited about it because
- It was broken into two weekends with exactly the same lineup.
- The lineup felt weaker than past years.
But I’m very glad I went. I had a blast. The weather was perfect for it. And most importantly, it’s the first ACL in many that allergies aren’t killing me and/or I’m stoned out of my mind with allergy medication.
Also, the crowds felt lighter (but I heard it was the usual 75,000 souls). Lines for food, bathroom, beer were quick and painless. Getting in and out of the park was a breeze. It was relatively easy to get close to the stages as well. Maybe they’ve been improving the logistics, maybe it was something else, but it really helped enjoy the weekend.
Disclaimer: Lots of photos below. But this year I decided not to carry my excellent MFT camera, instead using my puny little iPhone 5. This means the photos suck.
Also, I assumed that others would bring good cameras, take some decent videos, and post them to YouTube. I was wrong, it turns out my incredibly steady hand is unique among concert-goers. Oh well…
Read more for lots of photos.