The critics have universally panned the new “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” movie. I saw it last night.
Is it as terrible as the critics would lead you to believe?
Is it good?
No. It’s ok.
Do you want to read my random ramblings full of spoilers?
- The main premise of why Batman wants to fight Superman is very dumb. It doesn’t make sense for him to outsmart Batman. More here.
- Lex Luthor sucked.
First: the dad made the fortune? That takes away from the character.
Second: Why did they make him so whiny and unhinged?
- Gal Gadot was smoking hot in every single scene she was in.
- Ben Affleck was just fine as Batman. The Internet freaked out for nothing.
- Superman got his ass kicked three times in this movie: by Batman, by a nuclear explosion, and by Doomsday. That’s stupid. You shouldn’t kick Superman’s ass so much in a single movie. He’s supposed to be the most powerful one.
- I can’t believe that this is only the second movie and they already kill off Superman. They already used Doomsday. What’s the point? Superman is around for 2 years (movie timeline) and is already dead? What about more movies? What about Brainiac, and Darkseid, and
Mister Mxyzptlk(ok maybe not that one)? I think he’s supposed to be around for a while before they kill him off.
- The Batman fighting scene where he’s saving Mrs. Kent was awesome. Very “Frank Miller” in its brutality.
- All the characters in this movie are humorless. The movie takes itself way too seriously. Nobody has charisma. The one or two tiny jokes/winks to the audience fell flat. That’s a shame.
- Louis Lane is perhaps the only character with charisma in this movie… negative charisma though. Margot Kidder FTW.
- There’s a lot of pretty dumb things in the plot. Sometimes it’s too childish except the movie is too violent for such a childish plot.
- Superman II is the last really good Superman movie. It’s 36 came out 36 years ago. Warner Brothers just can’t get it right.
- But what do you expect? Zach Snyder has made nothing but visually attractive, highly stylized, highly violent movies. That’s a good description for this one too.
All in all, the movie is still entertaining and well made. If you like superhero movies, you can do much worse and still see Ben Affleck.