As my faithful readers know, I’ve been something of a Spider-Man fan since I was two or three. I used to watch the cartoons (from the 60’s and from the 90’s) and I read the comic books for many years. I saw the previous two movies at midnight when they opened and did the same for the third one. (I must clarify that none of this makes me a nerd, and if you think it does… well you’re racist or something). So here’s my take, in an easy-to-write Good/Bad/Ugly format.
- Venom looks incredible, just like I pictured him when reading the comic books. Too cool. Topher Grace did a great job as Eddie Brock (which I didn’t expect).
- The Sandman is awesome too. Thomas Haden Church looked great.
- Gwen Stacy is hot. Hotter than Mary Jane.
- Lots of action, tons of things going on.
- The whole Symbiont thing is way under explained.
- A meteor crash? In Central Park? Next to Peter Parker? And he doesn’t notice? Give me a f****** break!
- No Spider-Sense in the whole movie! At all! They always catch Spider-Man by surprise! Sure, everybody knows Venom does not trigger the Spider-Sense, but the Sandman and the Goblin should…
- So now Sandman killed Uncle Ben? Who’s going to be the killer next? J. J. Jameson?
- Most characters are under-developed.
- Venom is not schizophrenic. He refers to himself as “I”, not as “we”. That’s just wrong.
- Cool and well done as the character is, I think the movie didn’t really need the Sandman. He doesn’t get enough time and whatever little time he gets he’s just taking away from the others.
- Eddie Brock was played by a different actor in the first movie. No one seems to remember him.
- Green-Goblin Jr. is lame.
- Too many scenes that belong in a chick-flick.
- Why does the evil Peter Parker like to dance so much? Couldn’t he just do evil things instead?
- Venom has no tongue. The big tongue with the green slime is one of the coolest thing about Venom.
Conclusion: Not as good as the previous two movies, but it’s fun to watch. Go see it.